UPDATE: Facebook disabled discussion boards, but there are many great Facebook applications that can be substituted.
You might have heard that we’ve set up a Facebook “discussion board” for you to meet, connect and hopefully find a roommate!
Here are five reasons you should utilize Facebook’s free Discussion Board Application:
- Builds community between your fans. Discussion pages can be used a lot like a forum. Your fans can talk to you, but they can also talk to each other. Topics can be started by anyone who “likes” a page, although as administrator you have the ability to remove discussions you feel are inappropriate or unhelpful to your readers.
- Answer reoccurring questions. Have you been asked about the paint color in your kitchen, how to paint a perfect stripe or sew a straight line? This is a great place to post about it. Not only that, but your readers can provide tips too!
- Facilitate conversations that just don’t fit on the blog. You can’t fit it ALL on your blog, right? Want to talk about your favorite tv show, a movie or a book? Is your editorial calendar full? Discussion boards provide the perfect forum for you to have a discussion.
- Continue popular conversations. Sometimes your update will generate a lot of feedback and then die. It doesn’t die because people aren’t interested. It just isn’t popping up in the newsfeed anymore. The discussion board is a great place to keep it going!
- Boards give your fans a way to share their expertise and promote themselves. Need I say more?
In some cases your Facebook page may already have discussion boards set up.
- Using the search box on Facebook enter the term Discussion Boards App and click search. You will be taken to the Discussion Boards App fan page.
- Go to the left tool bar and click on “add to my page.”
- A list of your pages will come up. Click on your page. Click “add to page.”
- Navigate back and the app should be on your left tool bar.
So what do you think? Is this something you might try out?