You’ve heard perception is everything…It’s true. It’s also why selecting just the right logo is such an important part of your blog and/or business.
There are five things you should consider when selecting a logo:
- Visually communicate what you do and/or provide
- Create a memorable/recognizable marker for future reference and referral
- Convey credibility and professionalism in your field
- Communicate a message
- Be interesting, not distracting
The SNAP! logo was designed by our very own team member Lara. Many of you will recognize Lara from her popular creative blog – Less Cake, More Frosting. What you may not know is that Lara is an accomplished designer who’s worked on everything from corporate logos to wedding invitations.
We simply LOVE the new SNAP! logo Lara has developed for us. We were excited when she agreed to share a little bit about what inspired her during the creative process and even more excited when she offered to share a few extra design tidbits for you!
A few weeks ago, I saw some design work that incorporated asterisks.
I cannot remember where, but I remember thinking, “hmmm….I love asterisks. They are just so stinkin’ happy. Kind of bold, kind of flowery, kind of awesome.” And I made a mental note that I enjoy them.
So when the opportunity came up for me to do the new logo for SNAP! I remembered how happy the asterisk is….and frankly, how “snappy.”
What a great jumping off point…
I designed the logo we’re using first. And, although I spent hours on other ideas, it remained my favorite.
The SNAP! logo is a very modern asterisk next to similarly clean lined typography. A lot of it’s aesthetic is the justified text that lines up to visually form a rectangle.
When I begin logos, I like to design in black & white or grayscale. A good rule of thumb is that a great logo will look good without color. So, I try to stick to that. (All rules are made to be broken. But, it’s not a bad rule to live by.)
Color is a really fun, last element to add and I love trying lots of different options. It’s always good to have some kind of neutral, which in the SNAP! logo is the grey tones. I also chose some intense pops of color, which I’m never opposed to. Color and I are eternally in love. The SNAP! colors are super playful and make me think of creativity.
Here are a couple tips to keep creativity fresh and your design spectacular:
- Always pay attention to your surroundings. Look for things that catch your eye. Magazine pages, fashion, decor, nature. Whatever. Things that inspire you.
- Ask yourself why you feel inspired? Is it color, shape, a feeling? If you know what you like, you’ll be able to incorporate that into your logo.
- Pay attention to branding where ever you are. Whether it’s a label, or a sign, or a billboard. If you start paying attention to typography and colors and shapes, you’ll be surprised how much it can help you come up with something you will identify with.
- Be willing to edit. It’s so hard when you have lots of really good ideas, to let some go. But if you truly love them….you will set them free. The more you add, the less clear your intension become.
- Traditional never goes out of style. It’s so fun to hop on the trend band wagon. Your logo will better serve you if it is able to grow with you over time. Try to avoid things that will trend and become dated. Think: the recent royal spectacular. And the simple, traditional look of the wedding. Diana’s dress screams…HELLO? 1984 called. It wants it’s sleeves back. But Cate’s will be more timeless, because it avoids a lot of trendiness. That’s what you are going for.
- Too many cooks in the kitchen….do you know that phrase? Opinions are really great. But be prepared that EVERYONE has one. And they’re never the same. So, while you want to get opinions on your logo from a few trusted individuals, too many cooks…is not a good thing. Go with your gut. If it speaks TO YOU, then it will speak OF YOU. And that’s what matters.
We love what Lara did with the SNAP! logo. Thanks Lara!
What inspired your logo?