I always find it so fun to meet and connect with other bloggers. There is so much we can learn from one another.
I was asked to speak on working with brands. There are about as many ways to work with brands as there are bloggers, but one recommendation that is universal? Work to extend the relationship.
Here are the top ten things you should consider before working with a brand:
- Know Your Brand – Know who you are, what you will (or wont) blog about. Work to develop a strong point of view and strive to be an expert.
- Know Your Reach – Understand the tangible (traffic, subscribers, demographics, comments) and the intangible (anecdotal stories of engagement) reach of your brand. Be clear on why your reach is more than the number of people who follow your story.
- Know What You’re Worth – Develop an understanding of what your time and the time of your readers is worth. This is going to be different for everyone, but consider how much time it takes to prepare an average sponsored post and determine how much that allotment of time is worth.
- Research – Be sure collaboration will promote the image you desire for your blog. Understand what the company represents. If you blog about tweens, is it worth that $200 you could make off of a baby goods or senior goods post? In the long run, you loose credibility which is worth far more than the small amount of money you made…
- Clarify Expectations – Clearly outline what each side hopes to gain from the partnership, i.e. authority, authenticity, engagement, traffic, SEO, financial gain and what package they expect it to come in, i.e. blog post, tweets, etc.
- Negotiate Compensation – It’s important that each side of the partnership receive benefit. Look for collaboration that will be win-win. Though your compensation should be tangible think value, not money.
- Be Flexible – Be open to creativity and to opportunity. Tailor your compensation to the brand.
- Get it in Writing – Once your expectations and compensation are set, make sure that all of the information is on paper for both parties to review and have on hand. Having the details will help ensure that both parties are clearly understood.
- Added Value – Utilize and document multiple platforms to provide added value to a company, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Chats, in-person events.
- Follow Up – If you do nothing else, document your work and share it with the company. Show them the value that you have provided beyond a simple blog post.
What questions do you have about working with brands? What do you like about working with brands and what do you think brands could handle better?